Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Personal Reflections on Nancy Reagan

America lost a national treasure last Sunday when former First Lady, Nancy Reagan, passed away at the age of 94. Despite being vilified by those who hated her husband, she showed incredible style, grace and class. Justice Department statistics show that during the Reagan presidency, drug use among young people was cut by 50% - an obvious result of Nancy's "Just Say No" campaign. Contrast that with the current liberal decriminalization push by progressives that is coinciding with a spike in heroin overdoses all over the country. Coincidence?

On the world stage, her standing up for America in meetings with Russian First Lady, Raisa Gorbachev, couldn't help but influence the relationship between their husbands and ultimately the two rival nations - remember in dealing with the U.S.S.R., Reagan made his opinion clear: "We win; they lose." which is exactly what happened.

Most importantly, as First Lady, she gave unconditional support to her husband. After his passing, she spent the remainder of her life working to preserve the legacy of her husband's presidency.

On a personal note I'd like to relay the following. Reagan spoke at my 1985 Naval Academy graduation - his address lasted about 30 minutes or so. As I sat there on the football field of Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium just yards away from the president listening intently to his words along with my classmates, Nancy sat behind him, slightly to his right (the audience's left) and she too listened intently. Her eyes never left the president which I found remarkable. Later, as I walked across the stage, received my diploma and I shook the president's hand (one of the highlights of my life), I think now I wish I had also paused to shake her hand. What a missed opportunity.

We will say goodbye to Mrs. Reagan on Friday. I'd like to add, Fair Winds and Following Seas, Nancy. Rest in Peace with your beloved Ronny!

No comments:

Post a Comment