Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Story of Noah; No Mention of God - Leave It To Hollywood

Let me start out by saying that I haven't seen this movie yet. It doesn't open until the 28th of March. However, I have heard and read the reviews, I am aware of the controversy and I've heard the radio advertisements that say the filmmakers took artistic license but they believe they stayed true to the Biblical story. Really? Perhaps I'm not as familiar with the story as I think I am but I find it hard to believe that it is true to the Biblical story when, during the 139 minutes of runtime, God is not mentioned once. I reread the story in Exodus and in truth, no one utters the name God. However, God spoke to Noah and I find it difficult to imagine how to tell the story without so much as a narrator explaining that Noah is hearing the voice of God or depicting Noah trying to persuade others to repent without explaining to them what God revealed to him.

I doubt the sincerity of the filmmakers claims when I read things like the following in the Washington Post: "The producer of the movie 'Noah,' a self-professed atheist, says he is proud of the fact that he’s taken a story inspired by God’s word and turned it into something so secular." Why turn a Biblical story into something secular? Further, the Washington Times reported that in the UK Telegraph the director "...claimed his leading character, Noah, was the 'first environmentalist,' something that suggests the movie storyline doesn’t exactly follow the Bible’s."

It seems to me that the producer and director were more interested in pushing a liberal secular, overpopulation alarmist and environmental extremist point of view. The story in the Bible, the Torah and the Koran for that matter doesn't have anything to do with environmentalism or overpopulation and is anything but secular. How can a story about the relationship between God and man lack any  religious aspect? Leave it to Hollywood. Expect the Left Coast and Manhattan elitist crowds to love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment